On May 9, 2011 Dee's ministry at Berea First Baptist Church came to an end and our family began the "Unexpected Adventure" of building a bridge to a new future. Through this blog, we invite you to share this journey with us.

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Something New

To say that life is filled with surprises would be the biggest understatement of the past several weeks.  I've been knocked down by some tragic surprises, but, thank God, have also been blessed by some very affirming ones.  Official today, I have agreed to undertake a new writing job for Lifeway Christian Resources (the people who publish Sunday School literature and other resources for Southern Baptist and other churches).  A week ago, I received a telephone call from the editor of You, a new curriculum that I have never before used.  She enlisted me to write "sermon starters" to go with each lesson in the Spring 2012 quarterly, a brief suggestion of a message a pastor might preach to support the theme of that week's lesson.  That was a nice surprise.  What was an even greater surprise was that You is designed for urban and African-American congregations.  This very white guy who lives in TR will have the chance to support the ministries of fellow pastors I have never met who come from a very different background.  My childhood was spent in a very segregated South.  I am grateful for this opportunity to experience and express the unity that Jesus gives to His people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment