On May 9, 2011 Dee's ministry at Berea First Baptist Church came to an end and our family began the "Unexpected Adventure" of building a bridge to a new future. Through this blog, we invite you to share this journey with us.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

A Moment of Gratitude

Today the good folks at Parisview Baptist Church invited me to preach for them in June and July while they seek God's will about the longer-term needs of their church.  When I accepted their invitation, I realized how thankful I was for the opportunity to lead in worship, to share God's Word and my heart with others.  I also realized that I have taken that honor and privilege for granted. 

I was reminded of a telephone call I received many years ago from a friend and church member who asked me to come to her home as quickly as possible.  I knew that she had been very ill, suffering from cancer and its treatment, and feared what might have happened to her.  When I got to her home, she invited me inside and said, "Dee, I need you to lead me in a prayer of thanksgiving.  Today, Carolyn brought me some potato soup and it tasted good.  That soup was first food that has tasted good to me since I began chemotherapy." 

Tough times became a gift of gratitude for my friend.  The food she had eaten and enjoyed on so many days, she would never again take for granted.  I don't know what the theme of my message will be on June 5, but I know that the song of my heart will be thanksgiving. 

1 comment:

  1. Joe Farry was pastor there for a long time. He is a member of our church and one of the kindest men I know! Glad u have found a place to use your gifts. I've done a mission tour to NYC with Paris View. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete