On May 9, 2011 Dee's ministry at Berea First Baptist Church came to an end and our family began the "Unexpected Adventure" of building a bridge to a new future. Through this blog, we invite you to share this journey with us.

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Joy from Your Song

A couple of years ago, I invested in an inexpensive version of a Fender Telecaster electric guitar.  I have often seen that guitar on its stand in the corner of our bonus room while I was working on a sermon, a funeral, or a wedding at my computer.  Recently, I've had more time to pick up that guitar and spend some time enjoying the music it makes.  Those musical moments have taught me a spiritual lesson.  When life is going well, your song flows out of your joy.  On bright and beautiful days, the heart of a believer overflows with the joy of loving God and gratitude for his countless blessings.  In more recent days, as so much of my life has been turned upside down, I have found that my joy and my song are still connected, but in a different way.  Right now, my joy flows out of my song.  My memories of God's mercy, my testimony to His faithfulness, my confidence in the grace that has "seen me safe thus far," are like a treasure chest where I can go and find everything I need.  I can sing the Lord's song in a strange land.  By singing it, I can find strength and hope.

On every sunny day filled with God's blessings, sing His praises!  Worship Him, hear His Word, count your blessings, let your song flow out of your joy.  Then, when you find yourself in a strange land, when life has taken so much away from you, you will still have your song.  And from your song will come your joy.  May you have some time with your Telecaster today.

No comments:

Post a Comment